Makes 16 portions
12oz Self-raising flour
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4½ oz sunflower or olive spread
4½ oz black treacle
4½ oz golden syrup
4½ oz dark brown sugar
9 oz apple puree
3 tsp ginger paste
1. Grease and line an 8” square baking tin and preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan).
2. Thoroughly mix the flour and dry spices in a bowl.
3. Melt the spread, treacle, syrup and sugar in a pan over a low heat stirring continuously.
4. Allow the pan to cool a little and then pour into the flour mix and blend well with a hand whisk to ensure there are no lumps.
5. Stir in the apple puree and ginger paste and mix well with the whisk.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
7. Allow to cool in the tin and then divide into portions.