Marine News

By John Kinsman, station guard at St Monans Coastwatch, east Fife.

Car park seal released into wild

A seal that managed to navigate its way up through a harbour and into a car park has been released back into the wild in the River Tay. The young pup was found near Stewart Street in Greenock last November. He was taken to the SSPCA wild life rescue centre at Fishcross in Clackmannanshire, where staff named him Dot-to-Dot.

They believe the seal was severely underweight, and was two or three weeks old when discovered. Steven Gray of SSPCA said “What made his story was that he had managed to get up the harbour steps along the promenade and into the car park. The fact Dot to Dot managed to negotiate these obstacles especially as he was so young and underweight was incredible. We suspect he became separated from his mum, took to the water out of desperation and got swept back by the current. It is likely that Dot to Dot was exhausted which is why he came up the harbour stairs and into such a dangerous situation”.

Staff at the rescue centre have now released him back into the water at Broughty Ferry in Dundee. Mr Gray said “we are so happy to see him back in the wild where he belongs”.

Featured image shows Dot to Dot returning to the sea.

Man dies after fall from boat

A man died after he fell over board from a work boat at a fish farm site near Kyle of Lochalsh in the Highlands. The man fell while disembarking the 69FT vessel Beinn Na Caillich at Ardintoul fish farm on Loch Alsh.

Kyle of Lochalsh Lifeboat, coastguards and Scottish Ambulance crews responded to the incident. Police Scotland said the man was recovered from the water and taken to hospital on Skye where he was pronounced dead.

The Marine Accident Investigation Branch, Maritime and Coastguard Agency, and Health and Safety Executive are liaising with police on an investigation. The incident happened at Mowi fish farm site.

The company said, “We are all devastated with this news and our deepest thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues at this time. Respecting that an investigation into this incident is ongoing, no further information can be provided at this time.”

Coastwatch News

It’s been a busy month for Coastwatch St Monans team. With two storms affecting the area the team were on full standby for any incidents. There were a few incidents including a search for an overdue kayaker who was found safe and well, a sea rescue involving a trawler. The team patrolled their 12 mile patch of coastline during the storms, warning members of the public of the dangers being too close to cliff edges and taking selfies.

The Coastwatch St Monans team were operations manager John Kinsman, deputy manager Anne Kinsman, deputy manager John McLean, and team members Bob MacDonald, Cameron McDonald, Karen Dodson and Kevin McBain.
The Coastwatch St Monans station suffered slight damage during the storm, part of the gravel chippings on the pathway was blown away and a few slates on the roof.

Picture shows damage to gravel at Coastwatch St Monans