Marine News

Sent in by John Kinsman, operations manager at Coastwatch St Monans, east Fife.

Fife cliff fall

A woman was airlifted to hospital in Edinburgh after falling from a cliff at Aberdour in Fife.
Coastguards were called to the Fife coastal village following reports from the Scottish ambulance service of a fall.
Rescue teams from Kinghorn, Leven and South Queensferry were all called out to the scene, alongside a coastguard rescue helicopter from Prestwick.

They were assisted by South Queensferry inshore lifeboat and the woman was recovered and rushed to Edinburgh royal infirmary.
A spokesperson for Aberdeen coastguards said: HM Coastguards received a call from Scottish ambulance service that a woman had fallen from the cliffs at Aberdour. Kinghorn Leven and South Queensferry Coastguard rescue teams and South Queensferry inshore lifeboat were sent along with HM Coastguards rescue helicopter from Prestwick, Scottish ambulance service and police Scotland. The woman was flown by HM Coastguards helicopter to Edinburgh royal infirmary.”

The woman suffered serious injuries to legs.

Coastwatch team busy

Coastwatch St Monans team had a busy time during the month of March. The team were alerted to incidents involving an overdue windsurfer, who was found safe and well after a short search. They were also called to an injured walker on the coastal path near St Monans. The team also carried out daily foot patrols in their area between St Monans and Largo Bay. Plus watch duties in the station lookout post situated on the cliff top east of the village.

The station also had some very sad news when the stations beloved SAR dog Sophie was taken seriously ill and had be put to sleep. She will be sadly missed by all the team especially her handler and watch keeper Bob. RIP Sophie.


Photo shows Coastwatch St Monans SAR dog Sophie on Elie beach shortly before her passing


Lifeboat called to rescue photographer

Lifeboats were launched from Arbroath lifeboat station after a photographer became stranded near the cliffs close to the town. She was taking pictures of the night sky and lost track of the tides. The photographer became cut off and contacted the emergency services.

Both lifeboats were sent out to find and rescue the woman, who lost contact with the emergency services after making the call.
Using flares and special lighting the crew members soon found her at Whiting Ness.
She was taken to shore and checked over by paramedics.

A spokesman for the lifeboat crew said “Both of the town’s lifeboats were paged to launch to the assistance of a person in difficulties at Arbroath. Emergency services had lost contact with the lady so time was of the essence. Along with HM Coastguards, police Scotland and ambulance service started a search, using lights and parachute flares. The eagle eyes of the inshore lifeboat crew quickly spotted the lady who was cut off by the tide at Whiting Ness. The lady was transferred to the warmth of the wheelhouse of the all-weather lifeboat and was taken back to safety of Arbroath harbour to be checked over by paramedics. ”

The RNLI crew have advised people to take extra care while near the shore at night. The spokesman added, “even in good conditions the sea can easily catch you out”.

Call out

Coastwatch St Monans team were tasked by UK Coastguards to locate and observe a jet ski reported to be towing a person on a small wakeboard known as a hydro foil, off Elie harbour. The report came from a person on shore whom was concerned for the safety of the both jet skier and person on foil.

Coastwatch St Monans team assembled and proceeded to Elie harbour. On arrival they located the jet skier off Ruby Bay and informed coastguards of the situation. Coastwatch St Monans were instructed to keep watch on the pair. A short time later the jet skier and person on foil came ashore at Ruby Bay where they were spoken to by St Monans Coastwatch who advised them of rules of speed for jet skis and towing people.

Coastwatch St Monans team who attended were operation manager John Kinsman and deputy manager Anne Kinsman, 2nd deputy manager John McLean, and Beth McLean, Karen Dobson, and Bob McDonald.

Picture shows the Jet Ski and person on hydro foil off Elie harbour.

Featured image shows the  old windmill at St Monans, where the Coastwatch is stationed today.