Marine News

from John Kinsman, Coastwatch St Monans


A criminal investigation is being held into the sinking of a fishing vessel in which two fishermen died. The Nancy Glen went down in Loch Fyne, near Tarbert on January 18 2018. Duncan MacDougal 46, and Przemek Krawczyk 38 who lived in the village were on the boat and the men’s bodies were recovered in April.The Crown Office said the procurator fiscal had instructed Police Scotland to investigate the circumstances around the deaths.

A Crown Office spokesman said “The families will continue to be kept updated in relation to any significant developments. As this is a live investigation it would not be appropriate to comment further.”
A major search was launched by police and coastguards after the boat sank in January.
The alarm has been raised by a third fisherman who was pulled from the water by the crew of a passing boat. A specialist lifting barge was used to bring the wreck to the surface and the bodies of Mr MacDougal and Mr Krawczyk were recovered.

The MAIB had previously conducted a seabed survey of the vessel, which had been lying at depth of more than 140m (459ft). The MAIB said at the time it could not raise the boat, but the Scottish Government stepped in to work with salvage experts and the families of the crewmen to support efforts to recover the bodies.


On Sunday 20th May HM Coastguards paged Coastwatch St Monans to report of a dog on the rocks between St Monans and Pittenweem. The owner reported his dog on rocks with the tide approaching. Coastwatch St Monans volunteers went to the scene and after being told by the owner that the dog was totally deaf the volunteer team managed to reach the dog and reunite her with grateful owner.
The Coastwatch St Monans Team were Station Manager John Kinsman, Deputy Station Manager Anne Kinsman, Volunteer Henry Sun and Kevin McBain.


Commemorations have taken place to remember the 700 men who died in World War One disasters off Islay. Princess Anne laid a wreath at a service to mark 100 years since the tragedies, while warships from Britain, USA. France and Germany gathered over the wreck of a ship. More than 200 US soldiers died when the Tuscania was sunk by a German u-Boat off Islay in February 1918. Eight months later the Otranto went down after a collision in a storm. A ceremony took place on board Royal Navy patrol boat HMS Raider over the wreck of SS TUSCANIA.

Picture shows Coastwatch St Monans deputy station manager with the rescued dog.