Marine News

Sent in by John Kinsman, operations manager at Coastwatch St Monans, east Fife

Major search

A major rescue search was launched after a sighting of a person in the river Tay at Perth.
Police were alerted after a member of the public reported seeing a person near Moncreiffe Island and officers were joined by personal from the Scottish ambulance service and fire crews. Two fire engines from Perth as well as specialist water rescue boats teams from Perth and Kingsway were sent to assist the search.

Witnesses reported a search on going on the water for over an hour. A spokesman for the Scottish fire and rescue service said “We received a call from the police to assist in the search of the river Tay at Perth. It followed reports of concern for a person thought to be in the water. Two fire engines were sent to assist the response. In addition we also sent teams from Perth and Kingsway to help. Crews conducted a search of the river area assisted police in the response. However they were stood after nobody was found.”

A police spokesman said, “Officers were in attendance at the river Tay in Perth, near Moncreiffe Island, following a reported sighting of what was believed to be a person within the water. A multi-agency operation was carried out and the search was stood down with no person found in the water.”

Coastwatch St Monans

Coastwatch St Monans took part in the queen platinum jubilee celebrations. The St Monans team had a large solar lights display at the lookout station, the windmill situated on the cliff top over-looking the firth of forth. The eight team members raised a glass to her majesty.

Three team members were given the Queens platinum jubilee medal for long service, operations manager John Kinsman and deputy manager Anne kinsman – 11 years service each, and assistant deputy manager John McLean – 5 years.














Pictures shows Coastwatch St Monans operations manager John kinsman and deputy manager Anne Kinsman proudly showing their Queen’s Platinum Jubilee medals for long service

Whale washed up

St Monans Coastwatch team were alerted to reports of a large whale being washed up on the shoreline below the village parish church. The team was requested by HM coastguards to attend the location and report on the finding which was reported by a member of the public.

On arrival at the scene the team discover it was a carcass of a dead whale. Other emergency services also attended the incident

Fife council were notified on the discovery and arranged for the carcass to be removed. However on high tide later that day the carcass was washed away and was spotted floating some miles away near the may island.

Elie harbour

Elie harbour, and nearby Ruby bay and Shell bay, has been very busy during the past couple of weeks with visitors flocking to the area to enjoy the recent warm sunny weather.
Elie harbour has been busy with kayakers, wind surfers, paddle boarders, and yachting. Ruby bay has been busy with walkers on coastal paths and beach. At shell bay it was a similar scene. The RNLI lifeguards were on duty for the summer season and Coastwatch St Monans also patrolled regularly to make sure everyone was safe.


Coastwatch St Monans would like to wish the coxswain of Broughty Ferry lifeboat, Murray Brown, who is retiring after 30 years service, all the best and thank him for his local service to the RNLI.

Featured image shows kitesurfers at Elie Harbour