Arran’s first ever Festival of Food is taking place from 14th – 25th September! Here is an update from Arran’s Food Journey on all we can look forward to:
The Isle of Arran welcomes visitors and locals to attend its inaugural Arran Festival of Food and Drink from the 14th – 25th September 2022. Hosting 24 foodie events across 12 days by 30 of the island’s hospitality businesses, this festival is a celebration of the unique culinary offerings of our island.
The festival covers 3 key themes – sustainability, collaboration and knowledge as we serve up an enticing range of exceptional food and drink hospitality experiences across two weeks.
Events with sustainability at the core showcase innovative uses of food waste, educate on harvesting and foraging techniques on land, shore, and sea, or provide opportunity to learn about sustainable farming and permaculture – all while tasting the spoils of your harvest.
Our theme community and collaboration has curated exciting partnerships where unique hospitality and tourism experiences are brought together with food and drink creators, venues and experiences across the local community.
Our last theme revolves around food events and workshops that share food and drink knowledge, showcase exceptional cooking or distilling talent, inspire the next generation, or entice our taste buds with food offerings that challenge our ideas by looking at other cultures.
Alastair Dobson, Managing Director of Taste of Arran – a key sponsor of the festival said:
“Arran has a fantastic food, farming and tourism heritage. Our food journey has been long and varied, these events showcase this and will also engage in an educational and exciting way to ensure we encourage and sustain the journey well into the future using the assets of Arran’s creative hard- working people and its reputation as a first-class destination”.
Events not to be missed (and be sure to bring your appetite!):
• Mara Fish Bar & Deli “Sustainable Seafood Salver” a special evening dining event from foodie favourites Mara – they delve into the topic of seafood sustainability and share with us the best of Arran’s local catch – Wednesday 14th September
• Number 16 Arran meets Arran Botanical Drinks – two local favourites, Number 16 Arran have been delivering sell out pop out events over the last few years – bringing that touch of fine dining to different locations – enjoy canapes on the shores of Cladach while sipping on Arran Botanical Drinks cocktails – indulge and relax – Thursday 15th September
• Coast Lamlash ‘When the tide is out the table is set’ – foraging seaweed along the shores of Lamlash followed by a unique and interesting cooking demonstration using your spoils – or Crofters Arran’s ‘Little Critters – Let’s talk about crustaceans’ event aimed at the family market – Saturday 17th September
• Bellevue Festival Farmers’ Market – a market day showcasing local producers and suppliers, delicious food, a range of local stalls, music and a not to be missed MasterChef cook off with local personalities – Sunday 18th September
• Lagg Whisky 3 Course Matched Lunch – enjoy a long, lazy lunch where local produce is matched to their very own whisky (including Batch 1 of Lagg’s inaugural release) – Friday 23rd September
• Douglas Hotel ‘Beer, Boar & Live Music’ – sure to set the ‘festival mood’ the Douglas Hotel are hosting an afternoon of local beer, boar and exciting live music from Matt Scott, Anna Sweeney and an appearance from the Arran Junior Pipe Band – 24th September
• Bellevue Barn Dance & Buffet BBQ – finish off the festival with a BBQ buffet of locally reared meats from Bellevue Farm, indulge in cheese and oaties (winner of ‘Scotland 2021’s best cheese – Arran Brie is made onsite) and locally produced Arran Ice Cream. Finish off the evening with a ceilidh – performance by the Boathouse Ceilidh Band – Sunday 25th September
Thank you to our sponsors – Caledonian MacBrayne, North Ayrshire Council, Taste of Arran, Arran Dairies, Scotland Food and Drink and Visit Arran for their support. A sustainable travel guide for help with attending the festival events can be found on our website.
We look forward to you joining us as we showcase, celebrate and indulge in our local produce, incredible talent and unique vision that drive’s Arran’s reputation as a foodie paradise.
Dates: 14th September – 25th September 2022
Where: Isle of Arran – all locations
Full Programme & Booking Info: https://www.arransfoodjourney.com/festival/
Contact: Arran’s Food Journey Coordinator on 01770 700542 or at email@example.com
Featured image, food from No 16. Credit: www.number16.co.uk