Marine News from John Kinsman

Sent by John Kinsman, Marine Correspondent 

Nancy Glen Wreck Bodies Moved

The bodies of Two Scottish fishermen killed when their trawler capsized have been recovered from the doomed trawler. Salvage experts removed the remains of the Nancy Glen’s skipper Duncan MacDougal 46, and crewman Przemek Krawczyk 38, to a barge on Loch Fyne. A spokesman said, ” The wreck was lifted and the bodies of two people have now been recovered. Two fishermen were on board when the trawler went down and were reported missing and presumed dead”.

The Crown’s Scottish Fatalities investigation unit is directing the investigation to establish cause of death and identify the decease. Experts raised the trawler from 400ft below the surface three months after it sank in just a few seconds. It was feared crews in the Scottish Government commissioned lifting barge would need several days to make the trawler safe for the massive recovery operation. Almost ¬£280,000 has been raised for fishermen’s families following an online appeal.

Eight Kayakers Rescued

Coastwatch St Monans team were involved in the rescue of eight kayakers in the Firth of Forth on Sunday April 15. The kayakers got lost in thick fog just after midday and a full search was mounted for them. A Lifeboat crew were launched and a coastguard team sent to investgate, while Coastwatch S t Monans Team monitored the the situation from shore. All kayakes were located and escorted to harbour. The Coastwatch St Monans Team were Station Manager John Kinsmam, Deputy Station Manager Anne Kinsman, volunteer Henry Sim.

Woman attempting to Live Alone on Remote Island Rescued

A woman who is believed to have been trying to live alone on a remote island off the Scottish Coast had her isolation bid cut short after injuring herself in a fall. Emergency crews were called to the SHIANT ISLES, about five miles southwest of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, at about 8.30am on Monday April 17th. The casualty is understood to have been attempting to live without human contact on the island for 40 days. She tripped and injured her head 12 days into her expedition, but did not call for help for a further 4 days. A Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokeswoman said “We believe the casualty’s intention was to stay on the islands without human contact for 40 days.However, following a fall she requested assistance She had not been on the island for very long”.

Stornoway RNLI LIfeboat were tasked to transfer the casualty, having had a head knock, from the SHIANT ISLANDS to Stornoway Harbour. Stornoway Coastguard Rescue Team provided safety cover and assisted the casualty transfer to Western Isles Hospital.
The isles have a large population of seabirds, including puffins, guillemots.razorbills, shags and great skuas.