Contributed by Anne Kinsman
Spinach and Green Bean Risotto
1 litre (1 ¾ pints) vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
125g (4 oz) butter
1 garlic clove crushed
1 onion finely chopped
300g (10 oz) Arborio rice
125g (4 oz) green beans, trimmed and cut into short lengths
125g (4 oz) shelled peas
125g (4 oz) shelled broad beans
125g (4 oz) asparagus, trimmed and cut into short lengths
125g (4 oz) baby spinach chopped
75 ml white wine
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
125g (4 oz) parmesan cheese grated
Salt and pepper
1. Place the stock into a saucepan on a low heat until it simmers gently
2. Melt half the butter with the oil in a heavy based saucepan and add the garlic and onion and saute gently for 5 minutes.
3. Add the rice and stir well to coat each grain with the butter and oil, add enough stock to just cover the rice and stir well. Simmer gently stirring frequently
4. When most of the liquid is absorbed, add more stock and stir well. Continue adding the stock in stages and stirring until it is absorbed. Add the vegetables and white wine with the final amount of stock, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, season and add the remaining butter, parsley and parmesan. Mix well and serve at once. Serves four.